Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Libby Langdon dishes about new television series

Daykeover with Libby Langdon, set to air on NBC this summer, features an interior design makeover that happens in less than 12 hours. The show was born out of Libby Langdon’s segments for LXTV ‘s Open House, which were so jam-packed with design tips and takeaways that producers felt they warranted their own show. Read on for an exclusive interview with Langdon about her vision for the show.



EAL: What can viewers expect to see and learn from Daykeover?

LL: Viewers of my new show can expect to see a space in its ”before” state and then a specific walkthrough where I target what’s not working in the space—this allows people tuning in to possibly identify what might not be working in their own homes. ....


It is often easier to target the problems in a space you’ve lived in for a long time than to magically come up with what the perfect design solutions would be. Then people get to see us doing the actual work—whether it’s applying wallpaper, hanging new lighting fixtures and window treatments, bringing in new rugs, introducing and displaying artwork, styling bookshelves, adding accessories and, of course, new furniture.

It all happens in one day but the prep for those 10 hours happens over the course of several weeks. The big payoff is exactly that, being able to show the “afters” and then walk the audience through why I did what we did and why it worked. My goal is for folks to watch the show and get a boatload of ideas and have the insight and inspiration to go out and make some stylish changes in their own spaces.

EAL: Why is now the right time for you to be doing this show?

LL: I think people are more aware of beautiful style and stunning spaces than ever before. With visual sites like Pinterest along with the wave of online sale sites like One Kings Lane, Gilt, Viyet and 1st Dibs; it's made surfing the web a design inspiration experience.

I feel like there are loads of people out there who want to live in a beautiful way but may need to do it on a budget. The goal of my show is to give them hard and fast tips and takeaways that they can use if they want to update the look of their space. I LOVE to share the inside scoop about how to create a gorgeous design on a budget!

EAL: How does this show compare to the other TV shows you’ve done?

LL: The first TV show I did was called Design Invasion for FOX. I had 12 hours and $6000 to completely makeover a room that I had never seen before in person. I got my first taste of completing a dramatic makeover in less than 12 hours and I knew I would work in that format in television again. It’s petrifying and exhilarating all at the same time—I loved every second!

I then was on HGTV’s Small Space, Big Style for five seasons. It was less of a makeover format and although I enjoyed offering information on how small space dwellers could live large, I preferred the opportunity to work with real people across the country and transform their homes in a small amount of time. I did, however, compile so many small space design tips that I wrote my first book, Libby Langdon’s Small Space Solutions, and I found it was a wonderful way for me to share valuable design advice with people who otherwise might not be able to hire an interior designer.



The show will air on an NBC network in a few months, though the official airdate has not been confirmed.

Langdon will be at the High Point Market to discuss the new show with her design fans. Join her at the Braxton Culler Showroom at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 21 to get the inside scoop.

Langdon has also added designs to her Libby Langdon Upholstery Collection and her Tiger Rug collection, which well debut at High Point, and she is working on a design for the Holiday House Hamptons show house.